Tuesday, January 16, 2007

#20

Fucked Up
Hidden World

(Jade Tree)

I’ve had a ban in spouting profanities on this space for a few reasons. One, it’s lazy. Two, it’s unnecessary. Three, what if my boss/parents read this? Honestly, I’m gonna keep it up, but when you have a band like Fucked Up, I’m not gonna be a huge wimp and “*” and “$” their name up. After all, these are a group of people who stick to their morals as unusual, non-mainstream, and, yeah, quite possibly as fucked up as they are. They’re true-blue punk rockers here giving good old hardcore a lift out of straight-edge stagnation. Aside from Clockcleaner (who I didn’t hear until last week – unreal), I can’t really think of hardcore as brutal and uncompromising that I want to hear on a regular basis. Loud and screamy is one thing, it’s their arm-raised triumphant-ness and self-righteousness that makes me want to throw Molotov cocktails at Verizon stores, convert my car to vegetable oil and replace my entire library with Zinn and Chomsky. High fucking recommendation.

No comments: