Tuesday, January 16, 2007

#16

Boris
Pink

(Southern Lord)

I want to love Sunn O))), but they’re sometimes not rocking enough. I dig the slow and heavy and scary thing often, but sometimes the obfuscation of melody for anti-momentum can be extremely frustrating. Not that Boris is coming in with a hyper-slow song, but rock tempo-wise, “(parting)” is a churner with great melody making the journey into Pink all the more gratifying and exciting. From there, pretty much every heavy type of rock is put under their lens and done so muscularly and with radical grit and excitement. A wonderfully dynamic and burly group making a very welcome effort into the expansion of the Zep Empire.

1 comment:

Dr. The Bird Man said...

This comment has nothing to do with the number 16. Ginder was president of Wake Radio 99/00 school year. He and I graduated in 2000. I figured you would know him via the radio, but I gather from your blogger profile that you may have started after that time. oh well.

Your album selections here are quite obscure to me. I will have to see if our public library has any of the titles.