Monday, January 22, 2007

#10

Mastodon
Blood
Mountain

(Reprise)

From one extreme to the other. Metal’s not something I was bred on – it was just always available. I grew inclined to the imagery (skulls, swords, leather, chicks – YO!) from all the ridiculous late 80’s and early 90’s Omen and Danzig videos. And despite all the Metal denial I went through in college and the fey stuff I do tend to like, deep in the most closed-off recesses of my mind exists Metal Brett that wants nothing more than to mainline Jack Daniels, huff paint and grow his hair long. Metal Brett loves Mastodon. Hardcore enough not to be wimpy, yet containing some impressive soft parts (“Sleeping Giant”) that are definitely not gay, and most importantly and triumphantly, dudes can slay. Blood Mountain is a band at top form, technically impressive, capable of writing a great song and ready for arena worship. See you in the parking lot – I’ll be crushing my 17th Studweiser.

No comments: