Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Five Alive! (No. 4)

It's been a long time since I've done this, I know. But I've now graduated school and can devote some more time to it. Until, I get bored, that is.

1. Family Guy: This show is so damn clever. I know it's pretty typical to like it as every frat boy will tell you, but really it's one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen on television. I have the first two seasons on DVD, and I watch them almost every night before sleeping. Just hearing Quagmire's "All Right!" is worth the admission price alone.

2. Beans - Now Soon Someday: The hotness. I saw Beans with Prefuse 73 back in the fall of 2003 and I thought he was pretty good, but had a weird rhyming style that was hard to follow. He still mumbles his enormous vocabulary, but on record, I must say he sounds a lot tighter. The mix is much better than it was live and his production is much better than I could have expected. I got this after I saw the "Mutescreamer" video which freaked me out in a real great way. Only problem is, I neglected to see that the version I heard was not on this record. In its place are two remix versions by El-P and Prefuse 73. Let me tell you, these two songs alone are worth the price (a scant 8 dollars for 9 songs!). Really a great hip-hop record that doesn't overstay its welcome.

3. Religion in art: Been really getting into stuff that crosses the two boundaries. In particular, I've been reading Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory and listening to Pedro the Lion. Graham Greene is an incredibly masterful writer who depicts a "whiskey priest" in southern Mexico during a time of Communist rule when Christianity is forbidden. Ironically, Communism simply makes the country poor and limp while Christian goodwill strengthens a person's outlook and is more successful in creating a communist state than communism is. Pedro the Lion (like The Power... before it) uses religion not only as a source for salvation but of frustration. Control is a great album for this. (I haven't really absorbed Achilles Heel yet.)

4. Philadelphia: I really love my home. I've been with my girlfriend and we've been going in and out of the city. I must say, there are so many fun things to do and see here and not nearly enough time to do it. The city really has an energy all to itself that cannot be found anywhere else. The architecture is not particularly sexy, the people are sort of ugly, but somehow the city is really fun to be in. That and the people are ridiculous. And the accents. Ask a Philadelphian to say "street" or "oh yeah". They come out so dirty: "Oah yeh, it's oaver on fifth shtreet."

5. America's "A Horse With No Name": Even though it may be a complete rip-off of Neil Young this song is pretty hot on its own. The "La da da da da da da" chorus sends me for a loop every time, like I'm floating through space. Man, I can only imagine what this song was like in the early 70's...

No comments: