Monday, June 28, 2004

Five Alive! (No. 6)

This will be my last (sporadic) post before I will be gone for at least 5 weeks. I am traveling to Europe and will be incapable of making blog time. Have a good one.

1. Jackie Brown: This movie is absolutely fantastic. While many will say that its runtime is a bit long (only because the action isn't as well balanced as Pulp Fiction), this movie is never boring or over-staying its welcome. The storyline, based on Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch, never stops delivering top notch dialogue. The theme of adult love is expertly handled by Tarantino, with what it fully encapsulates: money, lust, and, most importantly, loneliness. Plus, add to that another impeccably chosen soundtrack (See: Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street"; the Delfonic's "Didn't I Blow Your Mind"), Samuel L. Fucking Jackson, numerous references to shitty blaxploitation films (Dolemite is my favorite although its not referenced -- the worst (best) movie ever made) and I think you have a film that can stand solidly along side of Fiction.

2. David Cross - It's Not Funny: While some of his political stances aren't extremely sturdy, David Cross is undeniably funny. Basing most of his schtick around pissing on conservatives (Bush, Santorum, Lott, Christians, etc.) could be boring and trite. I'll admit it, sometimes it is boring and trite. But, when Cross gets a joke across, it is fucking hilarious. Like when he talks in Trent Lott's voice about how he had to talk on BET for his racist comments: "WHHHAAATT! The niggers have their own TV network? What kind of science fiction, Year 3000 bullshit is this!" Or his electric scissor and Family Circus bit. Or his bit about moving to the moon. Yeah, its pretty great, take my word for it. (See also: Mr. Show)

3. Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead: I am in love with this book. I haven't read something like this in such a long time. I can't put this guy down. I don't really want to describe it because you should read it. Plus, I'm not done.

4. Guided By Voices - "Glad Girls": What a great nugget of pop this is. Off of Isolation Drills and their greatest hits package. Nothing really much to this song, just one of the more well-produced, radio-friendly (among 100's of others) songs in Robert Pollard's career. "Hey, hey glad girls/I only want to get you high!" Oh, yes.

5. Iron & Wine - Live at the Khyber in Philadelphia: I went to this show with my brother and was absolutely blown away. I loved Sam Beam's records and, I have to say, I was very nervous about what he'd sound like live. Luckily, it was one of the best shows I've seen. Ever. Check this man's music out, it is fantastic. And check him out live, because he'll make everyone feel like they're transported to a barn somewhere in northern Alabama. Lovely.

No comments: