Thursday, April 29, 2004

Five Alive! (No. 3)

1. Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day: I picked this up on a trip to San Fransisco and have been really getting into it recently. She's got a really soft, mystical sound to her songs along the lines of Fairport Convention or the Incredible String Band. The thing I really like about her sound is that it's so stripped down, yet it still sounds incredibly full and orchestrated.

2. Television: Not the band, but the device. In the past couple of weeks, I have been watching a lot and enjoying every bit of it. I know it's not good for you, it adds little to my life, and all that, but there is nothing better than watching The Fifth Wheel or Elimidate.

3. Jefferson Airplane - "Volunteers": I absolutely love this song. I really wish that I had the chance to live in the '60s to be a part of a revolution that never happened because the time made some of the greatest music that these ears have ever seen. "Volunteers" isn't the most mindblowing song, but a great radio anthem. I could imagine tons of high-schoolers loving this song.

4. Faces - "Ooh La La": I love iTunes. I was downloading some music and I couldn't figure out the name of the song I wanted, but I knew it was on the Rushmore soundtrack. (This song is at the ending credits, and one of the best uses of a song in a movie ever.) I clicked through the songs they had, and eventually got a 30 second clip of this. As soon as I heard it I got chills all over my body. So good.

5. The Election Year - Aren't elections exciting? I really can't wait to see all the coverage the presidental candidates are going to be getting in the next few months. Regardless of who you want to vote for, the sense of power the people are given through voting is awesome. Isn't democracy great?

No comments: