Monday, April 02, 2007

March Mix


After last month's (yeah, two mo. ago) frigid mix, we got some super weather here in Philly/S. Jersey, giving me the inspiration to break out some warm weather jams. Nothing here's really too "hott" for sure, but most of these tunes do remind me of being able to drive with the windows down. And that, in itself, is an damn feat after our miserable January and February.

Next month, I'll try not to base crap off of the weather, 'cause that shit is so played!

Sex:

Side A --
1. Annuals: "Brother" (Crickets chirp, indie rock from North Carolina rules.)
2. The Clientele: "My Own Face Inside the Trees"
3. Archers of Loaf: "Scenic Pastures" (NC what!)
4. The Beta Band: "I Know" (Incredible bass line. This song just feels warm.)
5. Stephen Malkmus: "Vanessa From Queens" (In an alternate universe, this would've been Seals and Croft's "Summer Breeze")
6. The Magnetic Fields: "When My Boy Walks Down the Street"
7. The Faces: "Cindy Incidentally"
8. Marah: "Sooner or Later" ('Course we need to close out side A with a drinking song. I want to swing a beer back and forth letting the suds splash over the side of the glass. But not get wet - like Prince during halftime at the Super Bowl. Magic.)

Side B --
9. Iggy & the Stooges: "Shake Appeal" (An absolute romp. What a burner.)
10. Jay Reatard: "Oh It's Such a Shame" (This dude and album, Blood Visions, has been tremendously overlooked and in heavy rotation over here. Looks like the PR focused Pitchfork and Friends missed an obvious hit. But you're better than that, right? Get it now.)
11. Blood On The Wall: "Stoner Jam"
12. Fujiya and Miyagi: "Photocopier"
13. Daft Punk: "Digital Love" (Is there a better pop song?)
14. LCD Soundsystem: "Someone Great" (Maybe this one.)
15. Beach House: "Saltwater"
16. Vetiver: "Maureen" (Nothing like finishing a mix with an old fashioned country folk song that's perfect for some porch sittin'.)

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hey Brett,

Thanks for taking the time to read and write on my blog. I really was trying to keep it a secret but oh well. In response to your thoughts on David Lynch. I absolutely agree. Nothing frustrates me more then not liking Lynch as a director as it hurts my street cred but what can you do. I have only seen Blue Velvet once and it was a long time ago and am confident that when I give it another go I will probably like it and I really dug the first season of Twin Peaks but the fan boy ra ra David Lynch reminds me of why I hated living in Williamsburg. A lot of skinny pants wearing phonies who apply their personalities in skinny pants and liking David Lynch. Anyway, thanks again for your post. I wish you wrote more as it certainly gives me a lot of music options to consider and I will say it again, its really great unpretentious writing.