Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Top 33 Albums of 2006


And so it begins again. This is something like the fifth time I’ve done this type of thing, first while I was on the radio at Wake Forest, then here, in this space. Must say I miss the radio quite a bit and the opportunity to choose a song and play it for everyone (and by everyone, I mean 3 people in my girl’s dorm), but having a chance to sit down with each album and write something credible and intelligent is good. But usually doesn’t happen. And it reaches the same audience, ‘cept she’s my fiancée now and she just keeps reloading the page. Whatever.

So, yeah, I obviously have a proclivity to independent music. Some, probably consider it obtuse, heavy-handed and pretentious. But, shoot, J-Tim and Timbaland/Gwen and the Neptunes wouldn’t be singing/yodeling over bombed out, grainy and dirty soundscapes if it wasn’t for the torchbearers. Not to mention, the stuff’s necessary for the development of art in general and just plain interesting in how sound is approached. And while 2006 wasn’t a banner year for astounding music, there were many, many gifts from innumerable artists. You’ll probably get a sense of how I listen and what floats my boat best, but like every critic who thinks they’re “well-rounded”, there’ll be a few curveballs that I may not like 13 days after I write about them. In essence, just enjoy the wonderful sounds of the semi-above and underground – there’s a lot waiting for you.

Enjoy and feel free to send naked pictures of yourself (brett.baxter gmail com). The top 33 will fall over the next few weeks, most likely into the New Year.


No comments: