Tuesday, February 06, 2007

#2

Midlake
The Trials of Van Occupanther

(Bella Union)

Somehow, I’m very, very inclined to music that’s muscular, demented in some way, and aggressive. Is it better? Just more unusual? Or just what my ear perks to? I know I’ll never understand why because you toss a record like The Trials of Van Occupanther on, a record that has more pure pop moments than any record I’ve heard in the last 10 years, and I constantly want to hit repeat. The first time I heard Midlake, this record didn’t leave my car stereo (I drive 2 hours a day) for about 2 straight weeks. On the surface, there’s nothing unusual about this. It’s orchestrated pop akin to Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours or the occasional moments of ELO. But like each of those groups, there are more awe-inspiring moments in a 4-minute song than any hour-long Acid Mothers Temple bliss out or Steve Vai solo-from-heaven could elicit.

The Denton, TX band that seemingly come out of nowhere are pretty much a marketer’s nightmare (sorry boys, don’t know who you are). They have names like Tim, Eric and Paul. They play guitar, bass, drums, piano, and sometimes synth (ooh! crazy!). But for these cats, image will come – for right now I’m not really thinking that it’s a primary concern. Based on the simple strength and control they have on songwriting and melody, Midlake could be huge. They’re soft enough to rock the dentist’s office (“Van Occupanther”), rocking enough to get chicks to dance (“Head Home”) and flat out impressive enough to just make anyone a believer (“Roscoe”). They don’t really push any boundaries, but that’s just it – they color within the lines, but manage twist and contort the drawing into something wildly unique. Yeah, The Trials of Van Occupanther may be a soft rock album and maybe you could say I’m just getting older and losing my edge, getting married, etc. But think of me when a bunch of high school girls are creaming over stuff like this. The boys will follow.

Now excuse me while I cry to “Branches”.

No comments: