Monday, March 07, 2005

Old Records Vol. 1

[I'm so geeked out from work that I now work a spreadsheet when I come home. That's embarrassing. Luckily, I will soon be moving out of sunny Moorestown and into Philadelphia.

But the spreadsheet, it's not all for nothing. I've decided as a resource for myself, and others, I will compile a list of all the records I own. That means everything: CD, CD-R, LP, 7". It's going to be a daunting task given how much fucking music I really own. Is this a waste of money? Not really, but it could be considered one. The book value of every CD would make me a very, very rich man.

The real reason for this post isn't for me to bitch/brag about the depths of music I own, but talk about some of the gems I haven't enjoyed in a long time. P.S. The list isn't even half-done so I may write again about this at a later date.]

  • The American Analog Set: From Our Living Room to Yours -- I bought this record about 5 or 6 months after I saw the band live opening for Stephen Malkmus (I think?). To tell you the truth, I wasn't that psyched by what they sounded like, but I think I was acting snotty because to my untravelled ears, it was emo. I was trying to get away from emo because, well, it was making me a huge pussy. Anyways, this record isn't emo, its just some beautifully hushed music that travels fluidly to a motorik beat. There's plenty of organ, melancholy guitar figures, brushed drums and breathy voices, but it never seems over-dramatically emotional.
  • Auburn Lull: Alone I Admire -- I still haven't listened to this in a year or so, but I was reminded what a great record this is. Auburn Lull make shoegaze music like it's a brand new thing: huge walls of watery sound that Kevin Shields would have been jealous of.
  • Beachwood Sparks: Once We Were Trees -- I used to listen the shit out of this record when it first came out. It's no wonder the Beachwood Sparks share their first letter with the Byrds, Big Star and the Beach Boys: they totally rip them off. But that's okay, because those bands had some really good songs. This is some really nice California, dreamy pop and "By Your Side" is a really great cover song. By the way, is this band still around?
  • Blonde Redhead: Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons -- I saw this band open for The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters. Kind of a weird choice. I was in my modern-rock phase of my life. (I still stand by some Foo Fighters stuff, especially "Exhausted"). This record has some really good shit though, baroque songs that seem stripped down somehow.
  • Built to Spill: Keep It Like a Secret -- "The Plan" and "Carry the Zero" are two of my favorite songs ever. This band is really great even though Ancient Melodies of the Future is still bad.
  • Dead Meadow: Dead Meadow -- This record still brings me back to the first time I saw them at PS211 in Winston-Salem, NC. No one was there (20 people tops), the sound was bouncing off of every wall, and it was really LOUD. When they launched into "Sleepy Silver Door" I started leaning forward into the sound coming off their amplifiers just to keep from getting flattened. Man, that was fun.
  • The Dismemberment Plan: Emergency & I -- For better or worse, this album changed my life forever. And I still have never seen a better band live. Best show: West Philly at the Rotunda in 100 degree temperatures with my shirt soaked through cause my shit was boogeyin'. Second best: The Plan at Go! Studios Room 4 -- Freshman year at WFU, took a Greyhound bus to get there, no way home. Dalek opened = hot shit. Really found out what fun music should be. Hitched a ride with a guy from Guilford College who started to cry (!) about some shitty emo band who had a song called "I Am Robot" (cause we're all controlled and mechanical you know...I can't imagine what it'd be like if I couldn't feel...). My appreciation for emo stopped there.
  • The Fucking Champs: IV -- A great band that has allowed me to unironically explore the world of heavy metal. This record kicks ass from beginning ("What's a Little Reign") to end ("Extra Man"). It never seems too Steve Vai or too Motley Crue. Rather, it takes all the goodness of heavy music an distills it into 13 virtuous instrumental nuggets, and one with some vocals.

No comments: